Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Memories

Food has strong associations. Even for those who aren't self proclaimed foodies out there in the world, food can play powerful role in life and memories. Lets play a little game. (I would normally say close your eyes, but doesn't quite work in this format) and think of moments or flavours associated with each of the foods. I'll first give you an example. Mangoes.

When I think of mangoes I think of growing up in Hawaii and sunshine blossoming all the blushing green fruit. At the peak of the season, the tree would shed the mangoes and my brother and I would run around throwing mangoes at each other like they were water balloons. We would end up drenched in yellow pulp running down our bodies with large pits scattered across the driveway. Yum.

Okay back to the activity. Think about examples associated with each of the following (we'll start out easy): Watermelon, Poppy seeds, Toast, Rice Krispee treats, and Coconut milk.
(Hopefully you won't try and make something with all those ingredients).

Memories are always persuasive and take me back to my grandmother's kitchen, her white wine always with ice and the best Christmas morning breakfasts. Her kitchen aid always wandering around another batch of cookies and the dog patrolling the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment