Thursday, August 27, 2009

Layers upon Layers


The August 2009 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonful
of Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular Dobos
Torte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers' cookbook Kaffeehaus: Exquisite
Desserts from the Classic Caffés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.



After the caramel incident of June, I decided to avoid the traditional thin wedges of caramel to be presented on top and save my flat from burning down. Instead I opted for thin wedges of mango, perfect for the summers heat and divine flavour combination.

After the wedding cake accomplishment of July, I decided I was a pro at chocolate buttercream and adopted the same recipe for this cake - basically less eggs and more chocolate :). And oozed it all over in the end.

After the layers cakes of every month, I went for 9 in total alternating between traditional and then those with a bit of extra cocoa for the colour dimension. This was simple, just divide batter in half and add two extra tbsp cocoa to the chocoalte batch.

When eating the cake, I definately got the sensation of an Eastern European cafe perhaps with a strong espresso. I found that it was even better the second day. I couldn't quite tell you if I'd make it again, certainly not in the summer when it was a bit hot between going in and out of the oven every five minutes. I think it would be prefect if planning a tea party with a number of Hungarian/Austrian/German desserts and snacks.


Apologies for the brief post, things have been crazy busy around here as of late. So that tea party won't be happening for a while. Okay off to Finland today, hopefully to get some relaxiation in and to all the Brits, Happy Bank Holiday!

No comments:

Post a Comment