Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A few of my favourite things... (the American edition)



Perhaps the British are just more understanding of others and that is why they put an extra 'u' in everything. But somehow I doubt that.... perhaps that is why I am still discovering my favourite things here in Britain and already am firm of my favorite American things. I suppose you must be thinking that my favorite things include the Fourth of July, apple pie --- but rather they mostly include anything Thanksgiving and anything Peanut Butter.

Thanksgiving is the obvious choice. I don't want to sound like I'm ignoring the history of the holiday or the settlement predicament, but Thanksgiving in its modern day form is of immense brilliance and it should be spread around the world (Canada is already on the bandwagon or in the cornucopia. An entire holiday devoted to food and family. Oh time to be merry.

Its April, and well Thanksgiving is a long way off, so lets get back to Peanut Butter. Another obvious American gift that should conquer the world. Yet somehow this malleable spread is neglected to the bottom shelf of the British grocery store aisle.

A personal peanut butter weakness of mine include peanut butter cookies with Hershey's Kisses. They are simple, tried and true and downright tasty. I could make these babies in my sleep. Whenever I manage to resist and bring them into work, the coworkers are amazed at the delicate, yet powerful flavours. Little do they know its the sugar talking. My best friend's mother, forever to be entitled to 'Mum' passed this recipe onto me and I shall pass it on to you.


The Hershey's Kisses are courtesy of Jussi's friend from Ohio, who I kindly requested two large bags to make these cookies with. I thought that the two large bags would last a few cookie rounds, but I was wrong.

Ingredients:
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
Pack of Hershey's Kisses (a bit harder to locate over here).

1. Combine peanut butter, sugar, and egg in a bowl.
2. Make balls, approximately the size of a golf ball and place on cookie sheet.
3. Bake 10 minutes at 350F.
4. After removing the cookies from the oven, flatten the balls with a Hershey's Kiss.
5. Let cool and enjoy.

I told you it was easy. You soon can be the peanut butter god/goddess at a workplace near you!

No comments:

Post a Comment