Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Is Food Blogging the next Twitter?

First Al Gore 'invented' the Internet. Then there was email. Then blogging. Then Facebook. Now Twitter. Life just seems to be getting more brief. While at the same time, more and more people find new ways of 'expressing' themselves or at least claiming to so through text abbreviations and copyrighted pictures.

As a side note, it should be know that I'm not a fan of Twitter. I can see the potential for say CNN, but the fact that Ashton Kutcher - a wanna be celebrity - has more of a following, what is that really saying about our society an our intellect.

Anyways back to the blogging point, I'm afraid Food blogging is evolving to a new stage. I'm not a technology expert, but in looking over the increasing number of food blogs, I calculate that everyone and their grandmother now having a food blog. In fact they are making a movie out of it (Julie & Julia), take that Facebook (although -whispering-I am excited for the movie). It doesn't seem as special as my naive hopes had dreamed it to be a few months ago. I saw it as a creative outlet when I moved to London, to challenge myself in the kitchen and at the keyboard. But its a tough world out there, considering I believe that the number of people who read this blog can be counted on my hand. I know you've been busy, I've been busy -- you want to see more travelling and more novel things in the kitchen. I know, I have no excuse. In this Food blogging world, it certainly is dog-eat-dog (not a recipe option that I plan on trying to only get more readers). This 'situation' is even driving people off the food blogging bandwagon, such as those who started before the emergence of digital kitchens around the world are seeking new adventures or are leaving familiar communities because they are getting too large (such as Daring Bakers).

So does all this make me a blogging cliche? It scares me and reminds me of this New York Times article. If anyone is out there, what do you want to read? What do you think makes something a special blog? How is blogging taking over our world our form of communication? I mean you can even Twitter recipes now a days.

1 comment:

  1. What makes a good blog? Personally, I think its the commenters! A blog really thrives when there is a community to discuss what is posted. And to do that, you leave comments on other food blogs and encourage them to come to yours.

    Of course, you can publicize your posts on Twitter to fellow foodies too.

    Tina
    (Psst! Visit my site. tinatrenkner.com)

    ReplyDelete